The YSA -- initially known as the Youth Winter Sports Alliance (YWSA) -- was established as a legacy to the 2002 Winter Olympic Games to spearhead a community wide effort to increase the number of children participating in winter sport programs from the greater Park City area, as well as the surrounding Summit and Wasatch Counties in Utah. Today, YSA supports seven competitive winter sports teams, after school programs including Get Out & Play (GO&P) for elementary school students and ACTiV8 for middle school and junior high school students and scholarships for junior athletes. Through these programs, we touch the lives of more than 2,500 youth each year.
Current programs range from "learn to" offerings for 1st through 9th graders that keep kids active, engaged and away from their screens to teenagers aspiring to Olympic competition or National Team status. Through our programs and scholarships all local children are offered the chance to participate in winter sports and learn the true meaning of SPORT, our core values: Sportsmanship, Perseverance, Optimism, Respect, and Teamwork. regardless of financial status.
The Mission of The Alliance is to support winter sports activities for youth in Summit and Wasatch counties, promoting good sportsmanship and healthy lifestyles through participation, education and competition.
The Alliance supports its mission by:
- Encouraging youth to grow in their sport, learn how to win, how to lose and, how to attain their goals
- Promoting high academic and citizenship standards
- Fostering good sportsmanship, confidence, and self esteem
- Providing economic resources to support organizations dedicated to delivering positive athletic and coaching experiences
- Reaching out to all youth, introducing winter sports in community and school environments
- Providing resources and guidance for existing non-profit programs
- Encouraging the development of new sport programs when a community void is identified
- Demonstrating the lifelong benefits of fitness and healthy lifestyles to all participants