The Youth Sports Alliance (YSA) -- initially known as the Youth Winter Sports Alliance (YWSA) -- was established after the 2002 Winter Olympic Games to spearhead a community-wide effort to increase the number of children participating in winter sports in the greater Park City area. Today, YSA supports seven competitive winter sport teams, after-school programs including Get Out & Play (GO&P) for elementary school students and ACTiV8 for middle school and junior high school students. YSA also estalished an endowment to provide need-based scholarships for junior athletes. Through these programs, we engange more than 2,800 youth each year.
Current programs range from introductory offerings for 1st through 9th graders that keep kids active, engaged and away from their screens to teenagers aspiring to Olympic competition or National Team status. Through our programs and scholarships all local children are offered the chance to participate in sports and learn the true meaning of SPORT, our core values: Sportsmanship, Perseverance, Optimism, Respect, and Teamwork. regardless of financial status.
The Mission of The Alliance is to support winter sports activities for youth in Summit and Wasatch counties, promoting good sportsmanship and healthy lifestyles through participation, education and competition.
The Alliance supports its mission by:
- Encouraging youth to grow in their sport, learn how to win, how to lose and, how to attain their goals
- Promoting high academic and citizenship standards
- Fostering good sportsmanship, confidence, and self esteem
- Providing economic resources to support organizations dedicated to delivering positive athletic and coaching experiences
- Reaching out to all youth, introducing winter sports in community and school environments
- Providing resources and guidance for existing non-profit programs
- Encouraging the development of new sport programs when a community void is identified
- Demonstrating the lifelong benefits of fitness and healthy lifestyles to all participants